During National Fire Prevention Week, attention is focused on promoting fire safety and fire prevention. On the other hand, it is important that we practice fire safety all year long. Many potential fire hazards go unnoticed because folks simply do not take the necessary steps to improve fire safety in their home. Every head of a household should get together with family members and plan at least two escape routes out of the home in the event of a fire. Please remember, once you are out and safe, DO NOT go back in to a house on fire for anything. People are can not be replaced and the Fire Department can not put the fire out if we have to go in looking for you. If you are worried about pets, chances are they will find their own way out or hide themselves in a way you won’t have enough time to find them. First responders will be there quicker than you think and we are sensitive to the value of pets.
Many bedroom fires are caused by misuse or poor maintenance of electrical devices, careless use of candles, tobacco use, and children playing with matches or lighters. With a little planning, most potential hazards can be addressed with a little common sense and an ounce of prevention. For example, be sure to keep flammable items like bedding, clothes and curtains at least three feet away from portable heaters or lit candles. Never smoke lying down or in other positions where you tend to want to fall asleep. Items that require electricity should not be operated if they have frayed power cords and electrical outlets should never be overloaded. Both will build heat and eventually cause fires.
In many cases, a fire in the kitchen is started by unattended cooking or grease that finds an open flame. In the case of a grease fire, never put water on it as you will only make it worse. Keep baking soda in the kitchen and pour it into the pan or simply just put the lid on the pan. Never pick up a burning pot or pan and try to run outside with it. You will either burn yourself or spread the fire to other areas by splashing the fire around. A few well placed ABC Fire Extinguishers in the home will work better if you decide to try and put the fire out.
Remember that extinguishers do not take the place of calling 911. Let us make sure that you have no further danger present and allow us to remove harmful smoke that may be left in the home after a minor incident. The bottom line is you should take time to be safe at home. Do everything in your power to prevent fires from starting. If you need help, give us a call. We would rather meet you while your house is still your home.
The men and women of the East Lansdowne Fire Company